It's a synthetic absorbable surgical suture composed of polydioxanone. PDO sutures are used to perform cardiothoracic surgery (such as open-heart surgery). It's one of the safest materials to be implemented in the body.
Your skin fully absorbs it within 4 to 6 months & won't leave you with any scar tissue.
They are hypodermic needles preloaded with an absorbable PDO suture.
Ask Dr. Asad if PDO Threads are right for you
1. Controlled Healing:
- In medical terms "Selective Inflammatory Response". it is the principle behind a lot of aesthetic procedures (such as Fractional Laser, Chemical Peels & MicroNeedling). Our skin is very good at repairing itself, and by inserting PDO Threads we make it 'heal' itself by creating new collagen, naturally!
Your skin gently reacts to the inserted threads
- Yes, PDO is fully absorbable, but that doesn't mean your skin won't react to it. During the 4 to 6 months needed to fully absorb the PDO suture, your skin is also reapiring itself around it.
It's "controlled healing" happening underneath the skin!
2. Mesh or Lift
There are two types of procedure with PDO Threads:
- The first one (Using Smooth threads) consists of creating a mesh under the skin (i.e. 2 sutures inserted vertically & 3 sutures horizontally). Sort of like a #hastag, or a net. This Mesh will serve as the foundation for our new collagen production. This technique tightens the skin naturally from within. Results appear naturally, without any drastic change!
- The other technique (using barbed threads) is utilized to produce a more dramatic and immediate result. The PDO sutures have "barbs", which provide a grip underneath the skin. Sutures are inserted the same way, except they can be pulled in 1 or 2 directions, creating an instant skin repositioning. Just like with the Smooth threads, the skin will then build new collagen which will secure the lift!
A beautiful and healthy face has a "V-shape". With the ageing of tissues and the action of gravity, this "V-shape" diminishes or inverts.
The idea behind the Nu-Mesh and the Nu-lift technique is to either create a scaffolding in order to support the tissues and keep them in the "V-shape" or where necessary to delicately lift the tissues and reposition the skin to recreated the "V-Shape" where it's been lost.
Although PDO Threads can be inserted almost anywhere, one area where they are especially effective is the neck and jawline. The lower third of the face is challenging to treat effectively with botulinum toxin or injectable fillers, which are most effective in the upper and middle third of the face, respectively.
Sagging neck procedure, 6 1/2 weeks later
Midface & lower face procedure
Midface & lower face procedure
"No pain & or discomfort whatsoever. I can see an improvement right away, it was instant gratification & I'm very pleased with the results."
"I felt very confident & very comfortable. Completely painless."
"Minimally painful & went by quicker than I thought. I like that I can instantly go in & I can see the results. I don't have to wait for things to happen in the course of time."
(Actual patients treated by Dr. Kian Karimi, MD, FACS)
1) Courtesy of Dr. Ross Galsmann, MD.
2.) Courtesy of Dr. Kian Karimi, MD.